Pages

Thursday 2 September 2010

Salt: something new

It was my turn to choose the theme for this fortnight's challenge on our Salt faith blog - you can read what I said here and also see the lovely crafting responses of other DT members.

My own response might seem a bit obscure, but it is the one that I felt I should make. The journaling speaks for itself really and the LO has been composed in such a way to reflect on dad's condition. I've used Tim Holtz idea-ology papers and further distressed them with vintage photo distress ink. I like the way the paper is lighter in the part where I've printed 'Morning by morning new mercies I see', because amid all the confusion and distress that dad suffered there were glimses of his faith that shone through in a newer way than previously.

It took me a long time to do this LO. My first attempt failed at the last hurdle and had to be thrown in the bin - a pity really because I'd used kodomoi inc 'winter trees' papers and liked what I'd achieved - it had taken ages and then I went and sprayed it with the wrong glimmer mist - and, having used two of the papers, I had none left.

So I changed to the Tim Holtz papers, which in the end worked well with what I wanted to show. The trees at the bottom were stamped with vintage photo distress, using an inkadinkado stamp repeatedly. I changed the original photo to a sepia look - unfortunately, it's not a good photo because it was taken with a digital camera I had at the time and the resolution wasn't up to much - how things have improved in recent years.

As usual, if you click on the pictures you can get a better look.





On Salt we would love to see 'something new' that you create - please join in if you can.

I'm linking this LO for:

Artful inkables think ink Tuesday 28: 'distressed out'
Totally stampalicious: 'anything but a card'
Sisterhood of crafters: 'anything but a card'
Stampavie 106: 'anything but a card'
Simplicity 18: 'trees'
Double Dutch 51: 'the easy challenge' - choose any challenge from 1 to 50 - I chose challenge11: 'as long as it's not a card'
Crafty Emma 1: 'anything goes'
Paper players 13: 'anything goes'
A crafty little place 54: 'anything goes'

12 comments:

  1. This is such a wonderful layout Hazel. The sepia tones are just right and the title of the layout makes it very meaningful. I lvoe the heartfelt journalling too. Thanks for this Salt challenge and your reflections on it. Just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous challenge Hazel, I was so blessed by it as I thought about my blog post last night. And such a heartfelt layout, it's beautiful! I love the vintage look of it, the lyrics, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful LO Hazel! I'm glad you perservered and didn't give up after the first attempt landed in the bin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely layout Hazel. It's so wonderful when the Holy Spirit is so clearly seen in people's lives inspite of illness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great LO Hazel, lovely way to remember your dad and your shared faith.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great LO hun, Thanks for joining us at CES for our 1st challenge this week!! Hope to see you again soon...
    Hugs Shell xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hazel, this is a beautiful piece, and it looks like it's been lying in the bottom of a box somewhere for many years.

    as for the photo; it doesn't matter how good the camera was, it's the memories that count.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful Hazel, such gorgeous memories and words.
    Thanks for joining us at CES Challenges, hope to see you again this week.
    Hugs Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can feel the love in your journaling, Hazel. Thank you for sharing this with us all. Wonderfully done.

    Smiles!
    Gwen DTC@ACLP

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful layout!! Love the vintage style!! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at ACLP!!
    Sheri-ACLP DT

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just beautiful Hazel! I LOVE what you've created here and yes, the highlights & vintage tones are perfect! Thanks so much for sharing this with us!! Also, Thanks so much for joining us at The Sisterhood! Hope to see you again for next week's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That looks beautiful Hazel!
    Thanks for joining the Double Dutch Challenge ;)
    Willy

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are very much appreciated